Forum Index: DISCUSSION: Dock Talk:
Americas Cup Rules
Team McLube

wetabix

Apr 16, 2012, 1:58 AM

Post #1 of 7 (4661 views)
Shortcut
Americas Cup Rules Log-In to Post/Reply

Would someone explain to me why Swordfish (who had been in the zone for several minutes) did not have right of way over Artemis (who had just arrived.

George Morris

The Publisher

Apr 16, 2012, 7:00 AM

Post #2 of 7 (4655 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wetabix] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Looked like there could have been two reasons, one of which was covered in the Friday edition of Scuttlebutt

Artemis was the inside boat, so Luna Rossa is required to give room to Artemis to round the mark. But since LR tacked at the mark, and Artemis had to alter course to pass LR as they tacked, I am thinking that LR was penalized for that.

The incident is seen at 43:02 http://youtu.be/SdRjUfhsM4g

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

Ryan Wood

Apr 16, 2012, 9:03 AM

Post #3 of 7 (4648 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Mr. Leweck is absolutely correct. When Luna Rossa Swordfish was approaching the windward mark on starboard tack, Artemis was overlapped inside of her even though neither of them were close to the zone. When LR-Swordfish entered the zone, she was still overlapped with Artemis. This gave Artemis room at the mark which LR-Swordfish did not provide adequately. Even though LR-swordfish had to almost double tack to get around the mark which broke the overlap, Artemis retained mark-room because of the previous overlap when LR-Swordfish entered the zone.

This comes from rule 18.2(b)(i) of the ISAF Racing Rules of Sailing AC Edition v. 1.08a which says,

18.2 Giving Mark-Room

(b) When the first yacht reaches the zone,

(i) if yachts are overlapped or bowsprit overlapped, the outside yacht at that

moment shall thereafter give the inside
yacht mark-room.

Luna Rossa Swordfish was the outside yacht when she entered the zone which meant that she had to continue to give Artemis mark-room no matter what happens in the zone.

(Note: do not use this rule in club sailing. It is strictly for the America's Cup.)

-Ryan Wood

wetabix

Apr 16, 2012, 9:22 AM

Post #4 of 7 (4645 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ryan Wood] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Well, you guys are probably right but you don't get much of a look at Artemis in that sequence of shots. Rule 18 does not normally apply between boats on opposite tacks on a beat to windward and I guess the AC rule makers never thought that an overlap established when the boats were half a mile apart would be cashed in when one of the boats stopped at the mark for two minutes, particularly when there is another sub clause which says the boat that has to tack must do so more or less immediately and as close to the mark as possible.

Another bit of rules talk: just after the start the commentator asks Mitch Booth if the two LR boats were team racing at the start. Mitch waffled a bit and said he thought probably not. A much better answer would have been -'they better not have been - that would be illegal!'

Ryan Wood

Apr 16, 2012, 10:27 AM

Post #5 of 7 (4639 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wetabix] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I watched that start again and heard what both commentators had to say. What I thought was that both boats sailed tactically as they should have. Luna Rossa-Pirahna at the leeward end of the line really didn't interact with anybody and Luna Rossa-Swordfish at the windward end did block out Emirates Team New Zealand. As Mitch Booth said, it probably was just to keep ETNZ from rolling them at the start. I don't think there were any team racing tactics employed by the Luna Rossa team but if there were, it would have been illegal.

Ryan Wood

The Publisher

Apr 17, 2012, 11:17 AM

Post #6 of 7 (4618 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ryan Wood] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I thought it was a horrid question.

Ryan Wood

Apr 18, 2012, 9:57 AM

Post #7 of 7 (4593 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Americas Cup Rules [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

It sure was. For all Gary Jobson has given to the sport of sailing, he wasn't a very good commentator. In all the ACWS regatta's so far, they have struggled to find a good team of commentators.

Viewing the Forums: No members and 2099 guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules