Post #1 of 22 (45237 views)
Shortcut
Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America Log-In to Post/Reply

Barry Carroll. Any other nominations

Snappy

Dec 28, 2005, 8:04 PM

Post #2 of 22 (45219 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JP] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

West coast: Dennis Choate and Carl Eichenlaub

Wash

Dec 28, 2005, 8:41 PM

Post #3 of 22 (45211 views)
Shortcut
Re: [JP] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Two entirely different questions-- also need to define "yacht" to be able to answer

For me, assuming yacht means Sailboat
Influential: Bill Lee
Successful: Depending on the definition of "Yacht'-- Yugo Type: Macgregor Yachts
Chevrolet type: Catalina Yachts
Cadillac Type: J Boats
High End Type: Hinckley / Morris Yachts
Wash

USA8016

Dec 29, 2005, 9:13 AM

Post #4 of 22 (45179 views)
Shortcut

who did the CBTF?

John Tormey

Dec 29, 2005, 1:27 PM

Post #5 of 22 (45158 views)
Shortcut
Re: [USA8016] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

CBTF was a conglomerate. This comes from their website:

"CBTF Co., formerly known as DynaYacht, came to fruition when Chuck Robinson, Alberto Calderon, Bill Burns, Matt Brown and Peter Isler joined forces to create a radical new appendage design that uses a canting ballast for righting moment and two foils one forward and one aft of the keel for side force and steering functions of the yacht."

More at http://www.cbtftech.com

Hypotenuse

Dec 29, 2005, 5:19 PM

Post #6 of 22 (45139 views)
Shortcut

Will snotty yotties think the same of a J or a Carroll in a hunnert years the same as we regard the sweet curve of a Herreshoff today? I'd aver Cap'n Nat and his family have a fair purchase on influential. Then again, think of what Starling Burgess did for the first round of J-Boats.

As for success, what's the measure?

Barry's got my vote for the right life formula; make it and sell it, then give back.

Jdoe62

Dec 29, 2005, 6:30 PM

Post #7 of 22 (45121 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Melges Performance Sailboats.

100's of Scows produced each year not to mention the Melges24, Melges32, Star, 5.5meter and etc., etc., etc...

JP

Dec 30, 2005, 5:02 AM

Post #8 of 22 (45074 views)
Shortcut

Everett Pearson.

jack tarr

Jan 21, 2007, 11:07 AM

Post #9 of 22 (44617 views)
Shortcut

Pirateahrrr. herreshoff,crowninsheild, olin stevens,john alden take your pick cause none other can compare

hazzardous

Jan 23, 2007, 11:39 PM

Post #10 of 22 (44582 views)
Shortcut

how about:
hereshoff for influence
crealock for safe
hinkley for plain classy
and RP for rape........
Pirate
da-naaaa

Jerry Cann

Jan 24, 2007, 9:06 AM

Post #11 of 22 (44573 views)
Shortcut

Everett Pearson - Pearson Yachts (the original) & TPI -- a genuine Fiberglass boat pioneer.

Frank Butler - Catalina, Capri and Coronado (and Morgan)-- value pioneer -- intoduced the FG molded interior liner and production effciencies.

Bob (& Rod) Johnstone - J/boats, Alcourt Sunfish -- for promoting the concept of keelboat one designs; and the Sunfish that introduced many thousands of new people to the thrill of sailing.

Buddy Melges -for one designs - multiple scow classes, and wide range of others: Star, M-24, M-32, 5.5 meters, Solings, FD's, even iceboats! -- plus an America's cup winner and Olympic Gold medalist to boot! Not to mention the Melges family's tireless support of all forms of sailboat racing and race management that has influenced sailing as much outside the Zenda, WI "plant" (a loose description) as inside building boats.

Having had the priviledge of knowing each personally -- all are true Gentleman and pillars of the sailing industry.

My two cents.

reefer

Jan 26, 2007, 6:34 AM

Post #12 of 22 (44537 views)
Shortcut

personally, I am happy for Bruce Kirby's Laser!

southernman

Jan 27, 2007, 2:08 AM

Post #13 of 22 (44510 views)
Shortcut

really glad to see this kind of a question. We don't often speak of US boat builders. Not anymore anyway....So I was just thinking of a few names and soon found that the criteria of this particular discussion was realy broad. Someone asked , 'measure successhow'....'influential in what way'..

But I think there is another bit of criteria, at least for me. It's 'time period' or 'era'. Like our own pro sports in the USA and the way we compare say this Bears team to that Bears team...etc...So how can that be measured ? Now add the profitability of the time......or the influence of the time...whoa...

So. There is anther criteria (of course).
Best sailing characteristic advancement for the time...and
Most important sailboat advancement of 'her lines' for the time.. perhaps both of these belong to 'most influential for the time'

My vote for the 'best of all' for the time would have to be:

Olin Stephens

talk about influential ....

southernman

Jan 27, 2007, 2:22 AM

Post #14 of 22 (44507 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hazzardous] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Boy Howdy!! Them fellers are legendary in many catagories.

RP .....costs a lot of money in todays market for research and development. speed is advancing at astronomic rates. so is technology/materials.

If a builder/designer wants to compete in this global racing market they better be cutting edge all the time. Buyers of these boats are paying for that and they pay for that gladly.

Non racing builders can afford at least 25 of a particular models interior modules or 50 hulls and deck for this model....their money is in inventory produced with assembly line ability.....or at least a lot of hand labor found say in a Swan...but the same over and over...

How many boats RP or Cookson or Farr put out over 3 of a kind ???? Alpha Romeo and Wild Oats IV are , at least claims Alpha, the same. But built elsewhere...(hope I got that right)...big money for 'one outs'. Buyers of them have big dough

I like your list! Thems the boats we put to sea in.

Jerry Cann

Jan 27, 2007, 10:42 AM

Post #15 of 22 (44498 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southernman] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I thought the question referred to "Boat Builder" seems we have digressed to "yacht designer" -- B. Kirby, Olin Stephens, B. Farr are designers. That would bring up a whole new group.Wink

southernman

Jan 27, 2007, 12:24 PM

Post #16 of 22 (44494 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jerry Cann] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

It appears I have drifted. more 'set' then i figured.......apologies.

Aint sailing grand!

Jerry Cann

Jan 27, 2007, 12:48 PM

Post #17 of 22 (44492 views)
Shortcut
Re: [southernman] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Smile No apologies needed, my friend!

southernman

Jan 27, 2007, 1:30 PM

Post #18 of 22 (44489 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Jerry Cann] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

ok.

As a yout in SoCal I was pretty proud of Jensen Marine's Cal boats and Bill Lapworth formulas. Actually being produced in California.....what a novel idea..My Pop had a Cal 25, Columbia 34 mark1, Columbia 43, Cal 2-46. I thought all boats came form California..Now hes a 'put put' guy...still kickin hard, tho. (the 43 was an error in judgement):)

Growing up around socal sailing since the 60's was pretty awesome for a kid from the san fernando valley...those stinkin cal-20s and the way they would heave-to for lunch in between races. They pretty much dominated things for so many years..and that feller, Tom whatshisname....

jeffry matzdorff

Jerry Cann

Jan 27, 2007, 2:02 PM

Post #19 of 22 (44487 views)
Shortcut

Wink Jeffry,
Hey I work for a California boatbuilder!

Didn't mean to sleight the left coasters. (I did mention Frank Butler did't I?)

Lapworth surely was influential. The Cal 40 was of course the first split underbody (IE fin keel- spade rudder) production boat offered to the public.. (Although Cap't Nat did it at least 50-60 years earlier.) Today it is the norm.

southernman

Jan 27, 2007, 7:09 PM

Post #20 of 22 (44480 views)
Shortcut

So after a moist day here in MDR and a few beers with the lads, I would like to add one other name for Influential Yachtbuilder-North America-

Sidney Blinder and his prolific Sidney Sabots. Sid was perhaps responsible for many of SoCal's finest in the day. Oh those single hull masterpieces

Barry

Mar 9, 2007, 4:44 AM

Post #21 of 22 (44292 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] Most Succesful or Influential Yacht Builder, North America [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

SailingBeaver

Mar 13, 2007, 10:44 AM

Post #22 of 22 (44252 views)
Shortcut

What about Vanguard Sailboats. They make almost every 420/FJ for nearly every high school and college program, plus they're the builder of 2 Olympic Class boats (Laser and Radial). They have a number of other one designs two.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules