The Publisher

Feb 5, 2012, 8:35 AM

Post #1 of 3 (13926 views)
Shortcut
Farr 40 compared to new Farr 400 and McConaghy 38 Log-In to Post/Reply

Farr 40 Class Association
February 2, 2012

Dear Craig,

We have tabulated elapsed times from the recently concluded, highly successful Quantum Key West Race Week to produce a Comparison Table showing the relative performance of the Farr 40 against the new Farr 400 and McConaghy 38. The elapsed times are official from Premiere Racing who corrected them after we spotted an error in race 6. There were 10 races in winds ranging from 8 - 22 knots.

We have very accurate upwind and downwind times for races 6 though 9 and have also included a detailed leg-by-leg breakdown of those races.

General observations were:
  • F40 is generally faster upwind vs F400 and MC38, particularly in any wave action
  • Downwind F40 is surprisingly competitive in up to 16 knots and over 20 knots wind speed. Between 16 and 20 knots the F400 and MC38 have an advantage, being considerably lighter
  • There is no doubt that on any reaching legs both the F400 and MC38 would be significantly faster
  • In upwind/downwind course racing the performance advantage was not as advertised by the F400 VPP
  • The big surprise was how competitive the F40 was in the 8 - 15 knot range

It is of great interest to note that 15 years after the Farr 40 was launched, designers have not made significant speed breakthroughs, and it is reassuring for Farr 40 owners their boats are still highly competitive amongst the new breed of similar sized boats.

Best regards,

Tink Chambers
Farr 40 Class Secretary

Attachments: F40+vs+F400+&+MC38+QKWRW.pdf (18.0 KB)
  F40+vs+F400+Leg+By+Leg.pdf (10.6 KB)

TimDick

Feb 5, 2012, 7:48 PM

Post #2 of 3 (13460 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Farr 40 compared to new Farr 400 and McConaghy 38 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Interesting and excellent analysis! I suppose there is still some learning on the new F400s (first regatta) vs. the highly optimized F40s however the points likely remain valid given the fuller sections forward (trading off upwind for reaching) and the chine which similarly favors reaching vs. downwind. Validating news for the F40 owners although the F400 guys may not be so pleased.

One area the F400 appears to shine is reduced crew need and easier working due to the sprit + asym. - extending the trend the F40 started by eliminating runners & overlapping jibs.

However the design of the F400 seems to be acknowledging a second trend: many racers seem (unsurprisingly) to be increasingly bored with relentless series of windward-leewards which several generations of boats (IOR, IMS and IRC) have been largely optimized. More varied courses with more passing lanes are unquestionably more fun, present more challenges tactically, and crew work-wise, and result in better stories. It's the difference between the Monaco Grand Prix vs. stock car racing which is just a bunch of left turns.

If racing evolves back to more varied courses, my guess is the F400 will be both faster & "funner."

FYI I have no dog in this hunt as, although I have occasionally raced on F40s (great boat), I have never owned one and have no plans to buy an F40 or F400. I readily admit to enjoying non-sausage races immensely more than any # of sausages. There was this one time reaching towards Blossom Rock in a big breeze and flood with Alcatraz right in the way, see, and... ;) Tim Dick SF / HNL

The Publisher

Feb 6, 2012, 9:25 AM

Post #3 of 3 (12691 views)
Shortcut
Re: [TimDick] Farr 40 compared to new Farr 400 and McConaghy 38 [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Dee Smith posted this analysis on his blog: http://deesmithyachtracing.blogspot.com/...nd-observations.html

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules