UT Sailing Team fundraising to host College Nationals
Team McLube

The Publisher

Jan 19, 2012, 8:58 AM

Post #1 of 1 (7020 views)
Shortcut
UT Sailing Team fundraising to host College Nationals Log-In to Post/Reply

Dear former UT Sailing Team members and friends,

As many of you are aware, the UT Sailing Team and Austin Yacht Club will be hosting the 2012 Intercollegiate Sailing Nationals on beautiful Lake Travis. Even though Lake Travis is experiencing near record-low water levels, we are confident that we will have enough water to run a world-class event in late May and June of this next year. Here are the dates:

Womens - May 30th-June 2nd
Team Racing - June 3rd 5th
Coed - June 6th 8th

Recently, the UTST arranged to sell the entire fleet of 18 FJs that were purchased prior to the UT Team hosting the nationals 6 years ago. Many still reflect on the 2005 Nationals as one of the best ever held. More recently, the Austin Yacht Club was the host for the 2011 High School Nationals and again the feedback from the event was amazing! This fleet of boats has enabled Texas to show the rest of the country what a great racing venue we have her in Austin. The fleet of 18 FJs held up very well over the past 6 years but it was felt that the fleet needed to be replaced in order to run a first class event in 2012 and to provide the UTST Team with many more years of continued service.

With the proceeds from the sale of the fleet along with generous contributions from team members, families and friends along with help from Austin Yacht Club and the AYC Fund, the team has only $20,000 yet to raise towards the total $120,000 for the purchase of the new fleet. It is important that we raise this money soon because the 18 new FJs are scheduled to arrive in early February if we can raise the remaining funds in time.

The UTST is working in conjunction with the AYC Fund (which is an established 501 c3 non-profit) to provide an easy and secure way to help the UTST raise the remaining funds for the boat purchase. Donations can be made on-line by clicking on this link: http://www.austincommunityfoundation.org/?nd=donate and under choose donation type, scroll down to the Austin Yacht Club Fund. When making your donation, please be sure to mention that your donation is towards the purchase of the UTST boats in the comments section.

Alternatively, you can mail a check payable to the AYC Fund and it can be mailed to: Scott Young P.O. Box 5338 Austin, TX 78763. Your donation may be tax deductible (please consult your accountant).

For me, my years on the UT Sailing Team (1978-1982) remain as my fondest memories from my college days. During that era, we managed to cobble enough money together to purchase our first fleet of 420s and alumni and future team members have stepped up to purchase replacement fleets over the years as they have been needed. We all have a role in protecting the legacy of UT Sailing and I encourage you to help with this fund raising challenge and please forward this on to other friends who love sailing and love UT.

This years class of UT Sailing Team members are stellar! They are very well organized and incredibly enthusiastic. Here is a link to the UTST web site: http://www.texassailing.org/

Lets do our best to help them out!

Thanks for your help and generosity!

Scott Young
UT Class of 82

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules