Scuttlebutt Website SCUTTLEBUTT
SAILING NEWS
ForumIndex CLASSIFIED ADS Search Posts SEARCH

Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year?
Team McLube

The Publisher

Dec 19, 2005, 7:15 AM

Post #1 of 16 (21955 views)
Shortcut
Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? Log-In to Post/Reply

Now that US Sailing has announced the short list of nominees for the 2005 award, the Scuttlebutt website is polling the 'buttheads to see who they think might win. Click here to vote, or log-in and reply with your comments on the nominees: Mikee Anderson-Mitterling, Andrew Campbell, Augie Diaz, David Hughes, Mike Ingham, Jeff Linton, Pete Melvin, Nick Scandone, or George Szabo.

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

Snappy

Dec 20, 2005, 5:37 AM

Post #2 of 16 (21871 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

The world must be wondering who the hell these guys are. Has there ever been such a no-name group before? All great sailors who had decent years, with most popping above the bar only once during that key event that got them invited to this party. I was thinking that Pete Melvin would run away with the popular vote, considering that all the multihull sailors would get behind their peep. Heck, he might be the only one with a CV worthy for the prize. Or that Nick would get the disabled and sympathy vote. But what the hell is Mike Ingham doing in the lead? Oh well, at least Szabo is getting pounded.

John Tormey

Dec 21, 2005, 5:15 AM

Post #3 of 16 (21801 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Snappy] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

What the hell is Pete Melvin doing deep in the pack? I put hanging on the wire, competing against 100 other catamarans on foreign waters in a world championship above anything else that this list of nominees have won.

ruler

Dec 21, 2005, 5:21 AM

Post #4 of 16 (21799 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Snappy] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Mike Ingham is getting a lot of votes because he and his team won almost everything they entered. They won 3 major National Championships:
J24 Nationals
Thistle Nationals
US Sailing Championship of Champions
They also won multiple major regional regattas in those classes such as the J24 Easter regatta, the J24 East Coasts, and the Thistle Atlantic Coasts. The smallest of all these regattas was close to 50 boats and each is highly competitive. To win any one in a given year is an accomplishment, but to win all of those in the same year is very unusual.

nzangerle

Dec 21, 2005, 8:17 AM

Post #5 of 16 (21783 views)
Shortcut

I think Mike Ingham might be in the lead because of the 3,740 other members of the Thistle (1,720 US members), J/24 (1,500 US members) and J/22 classes (500 US members) know and admire Mike, or at least have heard about his success on the race course. Or maybe its because Mike is a Great Lakes guy (homeport Rochester NY/Lake Ontario). Mike's accomplishments certainly put him in the same class as the other nominees. The Rolex isn't awarded based on popularity, but in the Scuttlebutt straw poll, it sure is nice to see one of your own in the lead!

wanker

Dec 21, 2005, 2:07 PM

Post #6 of 16 (21760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Mike Ingham deserves to be sailor of the year..... The 4 major events he won he did in several different classes, and the J24 and Thistle classes are tough to crack into the top. Winning any one of these events would be a lifetime achievment for just about anyone. Ingham is a working guy, not a professional, yet I have seen him countless times helping others - rig tune, tactics, promoting the class, junior sailing, any way you look at it he's a class act.
There's an awful lot of keelboat racers who wouldn't be caught dead at a major j24 event - because there are no excuses and you might just find out that there are others out there a lot better than you.
My bet is that Snappy has never been, and never will be, at the front of the pack.

Snappy

Dec 21, 2005, 5:57 PM

Post #7 of 16 (21749 views)
Shortcut
Re: [wanker] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
Mike Ingham deserves to be sailor of the year..... My bet is that Snappy has never been, and never will be, at the front of the pack.

Hey Wanker: No reason to get personal. I asked the question about Mike and it has been answered. The problem for Mike will be emerging from his sailing circles to get the vote. No disrespect to the Thistle class, but winning their nationals will never win you a Rolex. As for his J/24 nationals win, that event is largely in the shadow of the class north americans (where he was 7th). Again, Mike has great wins, but we are talking the Rolex here. The good news for Mike is that he is standing out in this year's crowd, and it will be interesting to see how the Rolex voters determine value. Is one Worlds win (as for Scandone, Melvin, and Diaz) worth the same as Mike's list?

bmw226

Dec 22, 2005, 8:56 AM

Post #8 of 16 (21729 views)
Shortcut

"As for his J/24 nationals win, that event is largely in the shadow of the class north americans (where he was 7th)."

Since you brought up the north americans, anyone remember who won that? and the worlds? it was anthony kouton and i think he also won the laser radial nationals, can you not get nominated if your from the US virgin islands?

HNRT

Dec 22, 2005, 1:48 PM

Post #9 of 16 (21713 views)
Shortcut
Re: [bmw226] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Chances are that Anthony Kouton was not nominated because the USVI has its own National Authority for sailing.

The Publisher

Dec 22, 2005, 4:16 PM

Post #10 of 16 (21703 views)
Shortcut

Final Results:
  • Mike Ingham - 35.02%
  • George Szabo - 13.56%
  • Andrew Campbell - 13.25%
  • Augie Diaz - 11.36%
  • Nick Scandone - 10.09%
  • Pete Melvin - 8.52%
  • Mikee Anderson-Mitterling - 3.47%
  • Jeff Linton - 3.15%
  • David Hughes - 1.58%

• Click here for nominee qualifications.

Jdoe62

Dec 23, 2005, 8:43 AM

Post #11 of 16 (21345 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [HNRT] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Doesn't Kotoun have a U.S. Passport, is a U.S. Citizen, a USSailing member and live in the U.S.? Why wasn't he nominated? How could his success be over looked???

J/24 World Champion
    J/24 North American Champion
    Laser Radial National Champion

anything else I missed?

Deleted

Jan 1, 2006, 10:02 PM

Post #12 of 16 (21012 views)
    Shortcut

Deleted

Jan 1, 2006, 10:02 PM

Post #13 of 16 (21011 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Guest] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Not sure what card game the rest of you is playing, but a Worlds beats everything, unless it is an Olympic year, then somehow medalists are viewed higher, which is real bs since it is generally harder to win a worlds.

As much as I want to vote for Nick, I am not sure you can compare different forms of disability, and then have them compete on even terms. For me, Pete Melvin or Auge gets the nod.

Deleted
    samuelcase@hotmail.com

Jan 3, 2006, 4:30 PM

Post #14 of 16 (20978 views)
    Shortcut
    Re: [Guest] Who will be the 2005 Rolex Yachtsman of the Year? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This year the World champs on the list did little else, so maybe they should be "Yachtsman of a regatta", but not of the year.

Deleted
    markman@yahoo.com

Jan 3, 2006, 4:33 PM

Post #15 of 16 (20977 views)
    Shortcut

I agree, success in multiple events in multiple boats is more impressive than a worlds.

Deleted

Jan 4, 2006, 5:08 PM

Post #16 of 16 (20955 views)
    Shortcut

Looks like US Sailing has cast their vote:

US Sailing has recognized six athletes as the sport's U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) Athletes of the Year for 2005 for outstanding performance in competition:

* Andrew Campbell - Male Athlete of the Year
    * Nick Scandone - Paralympic Athlete of the Year

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules