Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Newbie looking for Key West info
Team McLube

HNRT

Nov 28, 2005, 9:05 PM

Post #1 of 29 (80235 views)
Shortcut
Newbie looking for Key West info Log-In to Post/Reply

I finally got my first ride for Key West Race Week. Now I am looking for info on best bars or other popular places where the racers hang out. All other "local" info is appreciated too.

Note: Scuttlebutt is turning this thread into a contest, where the best post earns a Scuttlebutt cap.

Update: Premiere Racing Events has now sweetened the pot, and the winner gets a SLAM Sailing Vest.

the_sphincter

Nov 29, 2005, 3:36 AM

Post #2 of 29 (80201 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HNRT] Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

First time? Make sure you go home with a racer chaser.

Montrose

Nov 30, 2005, 8:33 AM

Post #3 of 29 (80169 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HNRT] Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This comes from t2p.tv:

DESTINATION: Key West, last stop USA. Host of Key West 2005.
Highlights of what makes this destination so special.

http://www.t2p.tv/guide/kw05.php

------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Elvestrom, "If, in the course of victory you have not won the respect of your competitors, you have won nothing at all."

Drifter

Nov 30, 2005, 7:40 PM

Post #4 of 29 (80139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HNRT] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Go to Captain Tony's (the ORIGINAL Hemingway bar). There is a table just inside in the shade (people outside cannot see you). As someone you know inevitably walks by, call their name and they will gladly stop in and join you. Of course, they will offer to buy you a drink. This can continue all day (or all week if you choose, though some friends may eventually catch on). You get to enjoy some of the best closed course racing anywhere in the world, followed daily by free drinks for as long as you wish!

SurfBetty

Dec 1, 2005, 11:19 AM

Post #5 of 29 (80049 views)
Shortcut
Re: [HNRT] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Congrats on getting a ride - I am still looking! (So if anyone needs crew, please let me know and I can send details or a sailing resume.) I was a KWRW newbie myself last year and even though I went by myself (my friend had to drop out at the last minute for work) and I raced on a boat that was a bit out of it's league, I had a blast - thus, wanting to go back again this year. Besides being a great time to get away from cold weather up north, it was great sailing - especially the first few days, which were very windy. Tons of talent everywhere (in every class), great boats and... speaking as a single blonde female... the rum tent was lots of fun too! I advise finding a B&B or inn as close to the tent, harbor & Duval St as possible - make sure you aren't booked into a hotel down by the airport or the highway. Trip Advisor has lots of good suggestions/reviews for accommodation, and there are still lots of rooms left for that week. (If you're lucky enough to be in a crew house, congrats again, because it's not cheap to stay at that time of year.) After racing - hit the rum tent at 6pm. After a few rum drinks, get some dinner (lots of good restaurants... Turtle Kraals, Schooner Wharf, Half Shell Raw Bar, all great and casual). We had our crew dinner at a Cuban place near the Hilton that was fantastic. Then go out to a few bars. Sloppy Joe's is great fun and will be full of sailors. The Green Parrot is off Duval, but packed and very cool too. Although - I don't recommend getting hammered every night unless you don't suffer hangovers, b/c the sailing is full-on every day... best Race Committee I've ever seen. One more thing, last year it wasn't as warm as I expected. I wore foul weather gear almost every day and needed a sweater/jacket at night. Hope this is helpful. Enjoy the trip and maybe I'll see you there!

SailTrim

Dec 1, 2005, 2:14 PM

Post #6 of 29 (80014 views)
Shortcut

Unsure ~ I sure love a challenge . . . and I think I would look good in a Scuttlebutt cap, but I am KWRW virgin too and crewing for the first time in 2006. However, I am sailing with hardened KW racers and this is what they have been sharing with me . . . extra blender (good to have a backup . .sort of like a spare rutter~makes for a bad day if one breaks down or floats away), bathing suit optional (a few trips to the rum tent and who will notice...), must have cool crew shirts (can't divulge our plan on this one~top secret!), lodging . . . well: location~location~location!!! I think a previous post covered that . . . oh and they keep saying this, so I think they mean it: Sail Hard, Have Fun. Wink

KevinB470

Dec 1, 2005, 2:15 PM

Post #7 of 29 (80012 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Montrose] Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I have been sailing in Key West since the first J-24 Midwinters were held there in the 1970's. Key West offers the best venue for big boat sailing in the World at this time of year. It draws the best competitors, including America's Cup sailors, Olympic class sailors, weekend warriors, and families. The sailing venue offers a wide variety of conditions. The color of the water offers every hue of blue that one can imagine. Bottom line is...DON'T MISS KEY WEST RACE WEEK! ...There is something for everyone in Key West.

the_sphincter

Dec 1, 2005, 4:57 PM

Post #8 of 29 (79993 views)
Shortcut
Re: [SailTrim] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

gas powered blender http://www.totallygross.com

In Reply To
Unsure ~ I sure love a challenge . . . and I think I would look good in a Scuttlebutt cap, but I am KWRW virgin too and crewing for the first time in 2006. However, I am sailing with hardened KW racers and this is what they have been sharing with me . . . extra blender (good to have a backup . .sort of like a spare rutter~makes for a bad day if one breaks down or floats away), bathing suit optional (a few trips to the rum tent and who will notice...), must have cool crew shirts (can't divulge our plan on this one~top secret!), lodging . . . well: location~location~location!!! I think a previous post covered that . . . oh and they keep saying this, so I think they mean it: Sail Hard, Have Fun. Wink

(We noticed the link wasn't hot, so we fixed. Very cool blender. - The Publisher)

SailTrim

Dec 1, 2005, 5:26 PM

Post #9 of 29 (79985 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the_sphincter] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

~ Very very cool blender!!! But for close to $400 . . .ahhh . . . I may have to charge my crew for a MGT!! But that sucker would be good for a floating MGT bar . . . why wait till you get back to the dock . . . boat side service in KW, where the MGTs come to you . . . sorry, I have an overactive imagination and I am extremely excited about KWRW.

SailTrim

Dec 3, 2005, 7:51 AM

Post #10 of 29 (79918 views)
Shortcut

I am finding it hard to believe that there does not exist a KWRW vetern that has housed in their brain some creative, off the wall tid bit of information to share with us newbies heading down in '06 . . . we are talking Scuttlbutt Cap here . . .how about a hole in the wall AM recovery zone to get you race ready with top notch coffee . . . I can work the blender real well, but me and the coffee maker . . .

...OR how about some cool stories of KWRW to get us all psyched ( it is currently blowing 20-30 outside and FREEZING!, help me out here)

Hypotenuse

Dec 4, 2005, 5:33 PM

Post #11 of 29 (79867 views)
Shortcut

Back in the day (I won't say which one) Pepe's was next to a place called the Mascot Bar. Pepe's is still there (dang well better be) but the Mascot is long gone. The Mascot had a neon in the (only) front window, was two steps up off the sidewalk, and had a mauled, one-eyed pit bull you had to step over to get inside. the only boat drinks served there involved a shot and a beer, if I recollect. Most of the clientele had big wads of cash in hand, wore short-top white plastic boots, and spoke in, shall we say, a rather rough manner. Shrimpers, off the boats. the boats that used to tie up where condos are now. The Mascot was open every time I walked by...anytime, everytime.

So here's the story. My buddy Don and I were eating some breakfast under the mondo fan in Pepe's one morning at Oh-crack-sparrow-fart before we went fishing. Not a lot of conversation, if you know what I mean. I'm up across the room getting some Texas Pete for my homefries and the door just BLANG flies open and a guy (white boots, skinny, tanned, and inebriated) falls in and staggers two steps before falling flat on his face on the lino floor. Moans once. and then the blood starts to flow out from under him. Big puddle. Getting bigger. I'm standing there with a bottle of Texas Pete, and Don turns to look. Don and I look at each other. We look back at Mr. White Shoes, who moans again, and rolls onto his side. More blood. Lots more.

So I take a step to put down the Texas Pete, and Don wipes the egg off his face, and starts to get up. two guys come running in behind Mr. White Shoes. One grabs him by the legs, the other goes for his arms. Mr. White Shoes will have none of this, mind you. So he jumps up and swings at the closest of the two. Seeing the situation is well in hand, Don sits back down and picks up his fork. I move to the table, put down the Texas Pete, and pick up the pitcher of ice water. don't know what I was going to do with that.

Mr. White Shoes dis-connects with his roundhouse and slips in his own blood. Falls flat on his face, again. and passes out. The two guys pick him up, and out the door he goes. Don and I look at each other. He gestures at my homefries..."you gonna eat them?" I sit back down, pick up the Texas Pete, and head off his acquisition strategy with a good coating of the sauce.

Cuban floor-washer comes out with mop and bucket. Cleans up blood smear in a few swipes. Don and I finish eating. Waitron comes out of back room with coffee pot and order pad.
"You boys want anything else?"
"Ummm, no, don't think so. Just a check, I guess."
"Here you go. You boys have a good day now."

True story.

The Publisher

Dec 6, 2005, 7:37 AM

Post #12 of 29 (79798 views)
Shortcut

Thanks to Premiere-Racing, the contest prizes just got sweeter. First prize will now get a...

SLAM™ SAILING VEST - High quality, 100% nylon shell with fleece lining, full zip front, two zip pockets, elastic waistband, wind/water resistant. Embroidered with official Acura Key West 2006 logo.

See contest link: http://sailingscuttlebutt.com/...um.cgi?post=1137#113

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

Attachments: vest.jpg (10.6 KB)

Nice Ass. Coach

Dec 6, 2005, 7:57 AM

Post #13 of 29 (79783 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I had a great time finding different bar specials etc. online, and then printing out free drink coupons.

From my experience, the best three bar nights are the Friday and Saturday before, and the last Friday night of. The Green Parrot is a good place with cheap beers and a lot of homies (sailor homies). Hog's breath and Tuesday's is fun. I like the MudSlides at the Turtle, too, right when you get off from racing.

Conch Republic is right there, as well.

Don't forget to check out the Nudies. But don't go during the day if they cancel racing (made that mistake last year.) The B-fleet dancers leave something to be desired.

My advice, chase the ladies, they always no where to go.
____/)___/)____
Boat Building Supplies

RWU Sailing

the_sphincter

Dec 6, 2005, 8:41 AM

Post #14 of 29 (79778 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nice Ass. Coach] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

You cannot miss the knot&shot "competition" at schooner wharf. Basically it goes like this, start the stopwatch and take a shot (mt gay of course) out of an ice luge. The "competitor" then gets a rope, has to lasso a pole with the rope (I think you're required to tie a bowline), and then pull it in (either it has wheels or it slides). Each persons time is taken to determine the winner. Leads to alot of creative thinking. Don't miss it.

SailTrim

Dec 8, 2005, 8:46 AM

Post #15 of 29 (79500 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nice Ass. Coach] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hmm . . . chase the ladies, do you have any distinguishing features you can share . . . watch out ladies here he comes!!! Wink

Can the Newies vote for the reply they like the best and when is the deadline for this contest??

TsunamiMike

Dec 8, 2005, 9:58 AM

Post #16 of 29 (79475 views)
Shortcut

Last year was my first year. Things learned:

1. If flying, allow for extra time. Most flights route through Miami; mine went through Tampa. Last year flights arriving Friday were delayed over 6 hours due to weather (high winds and storms). Flights leaving the Saturday after were for the most part on time, but for some reason mine was an hour late. I won't get into the whole 40 hour delay in Tampa trying to come home.

2. Pack warm clothing. I know what you are thinking, but last year the overnight temp dipped into the low 40's on at least one evening, and the temps on the water didn't go above 70 except for Thursday afternoon. The sun was out only in the latter part of the week. Staying warm will make the experience significantly better both on and off the water.

3. Rinse clothing daily in fresh water. You can use a shower or a dock hose, but do this religiously after sailing. Failure to do so will cause salt and other ocean minerals to accumulate in your clothing. This can harm the clothing, stiffen the fabric, and cause chaffing, all bad. Be careful with the hose down if on a public dock: no need to inconvenience all the other patrons.

4. For housing, you want to be within walking! distance of both the race tent and Duval St. Ideally, your boat will be in the harbor on the north side of the island as well (near the race tent). Last year some crew did stay on the boat, but the bulk of the folks were in the Galleon? (hotel on the west side of the harbor). I ended up in a B&B about 150 yards from the race tent, and compared to the rooms folks had at the Galleon my space was excellent. It was a tad on the expensive side, but with one roommate it would have been fine, and there was plenty of space assuming someone doesn't mind the couch / floor. I could have put two folks in there in addition to myself and not had a space problem.

5. Food - excellent darn near anywhere. We didn't have a bad meal on the island all week. All of the previous suggestions about restaurants and bars (with food) are good ones. If you like seafood, I highly recommend it due to the freshness. The restaurant / bar east of Schooner Wharf has a huge bowl of seafood for about $25 that was dynamite. We also found a sit down restaurant on Duval St. that had fantastic ribs (can't remember the name, but it was a fair distance south on Duval). There is a little restaurant across the street from the race tent (Pepe's?) that serves good breakfast.

6. "Beverages" and night life - The atmosphere is incredible, and it is very easy to get caught up in it. This could be detrimental for the boat Wink so keep that in mind. Much like the food, there isn't a bad bar in town, and Duval St. is lined with them. A couple places I remember (not the names):
-if you walk down Duval south from the Galleon about a quarter to a half mile, there is a big bar located in a white building that serves $3 Rolling Rocks on tap. The musician sings songs that are not "politically correct". Not sure if he plays in the evening.
-Kitty corner to this place is another bar that is well frequented by everyone. Good drinks, and excellent live music in the evening.
-Two bars further south of the second place is another bar that was jammed up near the front, but it had plenty of room past the throng in the back. Good drinks, and the musician did a one man performance of '80's selections.

7. Sailing - the real reason you are there, right? Smile If you are coming from the midwest (or anyplace that hasn't had a boat in the water for a few months), get some good practice in Saturday and Sunday. Make sure everything on the boat works. Put up all the sails, try them out, then refold and repack as needed. The competition there is second to none, and several of the top teams arrive on the Wednesday prior to the regatta to practice. Go out in the rough stuff if you get a chance because the RC will run races for classes that have pros in very heavy conditions (35+ kts wind) as long as the equipment can take it.

Most of all, have a blast and enjoy yourself!

motorboat

Dec 8, 2005, 11:17 AM

Post #17 of 29 (79457 views)
Shortcut

"key west race week" re-arranged spells "sweet wackery", which about sums it up!

sniper

Dec 8, 2005, 1:22 PM

Post #18 of 29 (79432 views)
Shortcut

So the newbie’s want the skinny on Key West.

As a more experienced visitor after the Ft Lauderdale Key West race one year, I can give some insight into what to watch out for and how not to become the focus of all your teams unmerciful teasing.
We had booked a hotel in advance and spent the first night there after a quick ride from Ft. Lauderdale. We rented bikes as a reasonably safe mode of transportation especially from the rum tent to the main drag. After a face plant in Sloppy Joe’s at 2 AM we slept it off at the hotel. What a dump! So we decided to find other accommodations and began roaming the streets near the hotel. We found what looked like a B&B with a high secure fence and locked gate. We rang the bell and a guy came to the gate and we asked if he had any rooms. He said “Yes” and we proceeded up the walk and up some steps and through a lobby to see a beautiful pool and Jacuzzi.
We thought Wow! This will work. While standing there and beginning to discuss the rates two guys came from behind, passed us and walked to the Jacuzzi and got in.
We were speechless as they were both naked. We decided very quickly that we were in the wrong place.
Upon exciting the facility our other crew mates found out what had happened and we became the brunt of all their jokes.
This went on all the next day so we decided to find some way to get back at them.
We asked around and found out about a band that played at the ballroom of a local hotel.
That night we all went to dinner and made a big effort to get them all liquored up and tell them about this great band we had heard about.
Off we went, all 10 or so of us.
The place was packed in spite of a cover charge and we discovered a great trio of ladies on stage with a small band.
The place was rocking and we kept the drinks flowing.
They were really quite good and had dance routines they did to their songs, encouraging everyone to dance.
It was a mixed crowd but most of the women were with men.
Some of our group just had to dance (liquor enlightened) and the next thing we know they are going on stage to dance with the ladies. It couldn’t have been any better.
This lasted a few minutes while they danced with the “ladies” when the biggest bouncer you have ever seem came out from stage left and bodily removed the guys from the stage.
It was a big hit for the crowd and everyone was cheering.
Well if you haven’t figured it out by now you would have at the end of the show when the trio removed their wigs to discover three guys in drag.
We knew this before hand and were sure to bring a small camera to capture the festivities.
We now had the evidence to change the unmerciful teasing to a new group of embarrassed sailors.
Needless to say, watch your back and don’t bend over. Blush
Experienced

SailTrim

Dec 8, 2005, 8:15 PM

Post #19 of 29 (79402 views)
Shortcut
Re: [sniper] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

This KW virgin enjoyed the "Experienced" story the best . . . to date that is Wink

The Publisher

Dec 9, 2005, 6:04 AM

Post #20 of 29 (79369 views)
Shortcut

I think we have gone as far as we can go here. How about some help voting for your favorite?

Click here to cast your vote.

HNRT

Dec 9, 2005, 6:28 AM

Post #21 of 29 (79359 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Props to The Pub for stirring up the thread. Sounds like whatever I do in KW, I would be in good shape if I had the gas-powered blender: http://www.totallygross.com

Nice Ass. Coach

Dec 9, 2005, 8:11 AM

Post #22 of 29 (79335 views)
Shortcut

There is also the concept of the "Key West Regatta GirlFriend". A KWRG lasts the duration of the regatta. You spend the entire time after drinking and before leaving the condo/hotel/boat bilge/gutter/fill-station-of-your-choice bumping uglies with. And remember, when the regatta ends, so does the relationship.

Try to beat this one: 2 KWRW, 4 KWRG
____/)___/)____
Boat Building Supplies

RWU Sailing

SailTrim

Dec 10, 2005, 5:14 PM

Post #23 of 29 (79213 views)
Shortcut

"Nice Ass. Coach" ~ you are killing me . . . we'll keep a careful eye out for you next month! ;)

Hypotenuse

Dec 11, 2005, 4:47 PM

Post #24 of 29 (79167 views)
Shortcut

Please reply with an "Aye-Aye, Skip" if you are completely uninterested in Assistant Sailing Coach Matt Cohen's record of swordsmanship in Key West.

the_sphincter

Dec 12, 2005, 11:16 AM

Post #25 of 29 (78689 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Hypotenuse] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

sorry hypotenuse, looks like you got rejected (how many "aye aye"'s?), because RWU's story was better than your story (involving a shrimper?). At least his story was actually related to kwrw debauchery, not fishing in key west. I hear bass pro shops has a forum. It also looks like you've been voting for yourself. Alot. Now stop, and let RWU get his vest.

On a side note to butt pub, I think you should work out gas powered blenders for all the contestants (except hypotenuse, because his powerboat has a generator, a/c, and a real blender). Thanks.

Hypotenuse

Dec 12, 2005, 2:07 PM

Post #26 of 29 (78571 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the_sphincter] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Say there, Sphincter_Boy. Looks like you and Nice Ass. have something in common. Shocked Now, Key West is famous for that, too. Me, I'll stick to fishing and sailing. But you guys do what you'd like...it's a free country.

Back in the day, hitting the bars meant sharing space in the Mascot with shrimpers, dodging knife fights on Caroline Street, playing backgammon with Cap'n Tony, sharing pints of Old#7 with the Lizard Man at Mallory Square, "skiing all night" in a hotel hot-tub with a bunch of Miami strippers, and getting bounced from Sloppy's for swinging on the bell rope.

That Key West is gone. The new one's gone condo and Generica is taking over. Thank the stars the wind still blows in the winter and the committee knows how to do it right, because the shoreside done lost its edge.

As for sailing, it's my choice when I ain't fishin. We could talk about five KWRW, and every year taking home silver for one, the other, or sometimes all: top-three overall, top-three in class, and boat-of-the-week prizes. Been there and sailed around ya, pal.

For those of y'all who think there's more to life than Mudslides and notches in the bedframe (not that there's anything wrong with that) Key Weird's great.

For days off with no wind:
Get a cheap styro cooler, fill it with grain beverages and meaningless junk food, then stop off at K-Mart and grab some cheap fins, snorkel and a mask. Get in the car and head north to Bahia Honda State Park. Set up y'alls picnic under one of the shelters and get thee into the water for some near-shore snorkeling and on-the-beach relaxin'. Let the bucks do the pub crawl while you're leisuring on the beach. You can move in on their dates later when you're back in town, tanned, fit and ready while they're stumbling.

For food:
B-O's Fish wagon. Best fish taco you ever ate this side of T-J.
Mangia-Mangia for a solid carbo load when the air's up. Fresh pasta done right.
Pepe's Cafe for the steak smothered in pork chops. Yep, you read it right.
Bagatelle and Cafe Marquesa if you're budgetless.

For Drink:
Get a pint of your favorite beverage and head for Mallory Square for sunset. Then head south. Something will catch your eye. Just watch out for those two sailor boys...unless that's your choice. Not that there's anything wrong with that.Sly

The Publisher

Dec 14, 2005, 6:28 PM

Post #27 of 29 (77910 views)
Shortcut

Congrats to Hypotenuse, Nice Ass. Coach, and TsunamiMike. Voting results at http://sailingscuttlebutt.com/polls/05/1209

SailTrim

Dec 14, 2005, 7:10 PM

Post #28 of 29 (77905 views)
Shortcut

Now THAT was the sort of responce I was looking for . . . . thank you! That was a fun read after a long work day. Hope to see you all in KW and thanks to everyone who entertained us Newbies with their tales and suggestions.

Deleted
sccarbine@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2006, 7:45 AM

Post #29 of 29 (76668 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] CONTEST: Newbie looking for Key West info [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ok not there this year and miss the racing. Here are my inputs for some great bars ---

Garden of Eden - good music, great location - top of a building and naked people. Women love to take there tops off ... (need say more?)

the other place can't remember name of bar - that's how good it is - Cuban cigars (rolled right there by a little old cuban guy ) alittle out of the touristy area but well worth the hunt .

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules