The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please!
Team McLube

exiles

Jan 31, 2011, 3:17 PM

Post #1 of 7 (17405 views)
Shortcut
The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please! Log-In to Post/Reply

Northwest Passage on a Shoestring

Hi all I am new to this forum and would like some feedback.

I am planning a trip from Sweden-Norway-Scotland-Iceland-Greenland through the Northwest passage this summer. If any of you have experience high latitude sailing, sailing in ice, required equipment I would like to hear back from you. If you want more detail about the boat, trip etc. check it out and please give me your feedback.

www.belzebub2.com

Thank you!

peterrugg

Feb 2, 2011, 1:36 PM

Post #2 of 7 (17333 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exiles] The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Go to www.aroundtheamericas.org and www.Sailorsforthesea.org to read up on Ocean Watch who made the passage last summer. Ask Herb Mccormack who was aboard.

exiles

Feb 13, 2011, 9:09 AM

Post #3 of 7 (17202 views)
Shortcut
Re: [peterrugg] The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hi thanks since then I have been in touch with David from Ocean watch!

AnneHannan

Feb 17, 2011, 6:00 AM

Post #4 of 7 (17144 views)
Shortcut
Re: [exiles] The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

HI -
For a recount of a North America circumnavigation, Check http://www.windcheckmagazine.com/...ising&Itemid=404

Novi

Feb 17, 2011, 8:27 AM

Post #5 of 7 (17130 views)
Shortcut

Hi, you should know this challenge is not what it used to be, a good thing for you, just 4 years ago Minke finished her voyage after trying forn4 years to get through. But the current climate changed has moved much of the wreak icenextent to the lowest numbers ever. Last year or the year before a yacht from nova scotia actually made it along the northern route to the north of Banks Island, a route usually attempted by class 4 breakers and above. This is not to say it doesn't have it's challenges but typically these are poor visibility and gales more than ice. A good place to start is the Canadian Ice Service which is partnered with US Navy NOAA and has great coverage using ice charts based on Radarsat 2. Bias your search to the most recent years of data as older than 5 years are no longer relevant. Most of experience is based in the western arctic but Baffin island Labrador coast too. I helped sail Peter Brocks Minke from Pond Inlet to Labrador a few years back andnhelped with ice advice for the previous tough 4 years. My background is ice management for somen30 years in Alaska, the Canadian Beaufort, Sakhalin Russia and Newfoundland and now Kazakhstan.... All hotnspots for sailing :-) as mentioned above there are lots of folks who have gone through and have written about their adventures These are all valuable resources. if I can help, drop me a line and if you are in Halifax at some point, call me. As for the NW Passage, the key is getting around Barrow not too early, usually mid July and not later than later than late September when freeze up usually starts. A most miserable place to be is heading south through the Chukchi in late season. Anyhow, good luck, a fine adventure when we seem to be running out of them, Sean (Sean@kazice.com)

exiles

Feb 17, 2011, 8:30 AM

Post #6 of 7 (17128 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Novi] The Coldest Voyage.....Advice Please! [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks for the magazine article I have never seen it before.

I have been in touch with Eric Forsyth for the last few months to date only 58 sailboats have made the passage in the history of the world and we will be the 1st to attempt and hopefully complete the route we are planning.

Novi

Feb 17, 2011, 8:52 AM

Post #7 of 7 (17126 views)
Shortcut

Also dmi.dk, the Danish Meteorological Institute has great ice coverage for most Arctic waters to the start of the eastern entrance of the NWP. In particular there are increasing oil exploration operations in Disko Bay and ongoing seismic in east Greenland waters so will be good to know about these. Cheers, Sean

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules