Scuttlebutt Website SCUTTLEBUTT
SAILING NEWS
ForumIndex CLASSIFIED ADS Search Posts SEARCH

Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians?
Team McLube

Liz Multon

Jan 19, 2011, 2:31 AM

Post #1 of 7 (16608 views)
Shortcut
Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? Log-In to Post/Reply

Hello!

I'm an editor at Adlard Coles Nautical, and I'm working on a gorgeous photographic Olympic sailing book. We'll be including lots of impressive on-the-water shots, but it'd be great to include some more behind the scenes and informal photography, in boat parks or trials, perhaps with more focus on the faces and expressions of the sailors. So... I'm on the hunt for some more unofficial photos of Olympic regattas, or Olympic sailors in training/working on the boat etc. They don't have to be modern photos - we're looking back to the distant past too. Do you have anything you think we could use? If so, please email me at emulton@acblack.com - I'll be very grateful!

If you know of any great/heart rending stories on famous (or should-have-been famous) Olympians, I'd love to hear about those too.

Many thanks

Liz Multon
Senior Editor
Adlard Coles Nautical Publishers
36 Soho Square
London
W1D 3QY

PaulK

Jan 27, 2011, 4:08 AM

Post #2 of 7 (16558 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Liz Multon] Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Dave Perry told us a story about the recent Olympics in China that was really cool. The details are fuzzy now, but IIRC, going into the finals, one team had a damaged boat, couldn't race, and had to head in. Someone on shore (the coach from an eastern-European country?) saw what was happening, guessed they needed a replacement boat, and had his team set THEIR boat up so the other team could jump into it and use it. This all happened right before the start, so they couldn't be towed out, and apparently without any direct radio communications. They made it to the start just in time. There was a question as to whether the replacement boat would be allowed to be used by the competing team, instead of their own boat, but the RC allowed it. Great story reflecting true Olympian spirit of competition and cooperation.

Liz Multon

Jan 27, 2011, 4:38 AM

Post #3 of 7 (16556 views)
Shortcut
Re: [PaulK] Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks so much Paul. What an inspiring story! I'll tell our author and ask him to fill in the details.

Thank you! All the best

Liz

gebi

Feb 25, 2011, 11:46 AM

Post #4 of 7 (16357 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Liz Multon] Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Don't have a bunch of photos (can hook you up with many professional photogs who could set you up) and have competed in 5 Olympics in sailing for the US. Won two medals as well and of course have some great adventures and stories to share of my own adventures and the stories of other competitors that shared in the battles. www.executivekitesurfing.com is one of my sites that has a little bio on it. Let me know if I can be of some service.

ginic

Feb 27, 2011, 7:42 AM

Post #5 of 7 (16332 views)
Shortcut

Would you like a photo of the crew of Yeoman VII in the 1960 Rome Olympics.

Crew:

Robin Aisher
John Ruggles
George Nicholson.

Liz Multon

Apr 14, 2011, 7:43 AM

Post #6 of 7 (15273 views)
Shortcut
Re: [gebi] Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thanks Gebi. I'm making good progress with the photo selection, but it sounds like you've got some amazing stories there. I'm also on the hunt for new book projects, so if you have any ideas, do email me on elizabeth.multon@bloomsbury.com

All the best

Liz

Liz Multon

Apr 14, 2011, 7:48 AM

Post #7 of 7 (15271 views)
Shortcut
Re: [ginic] Do you have any photos of Olympics or Olympians? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Many thanks - it'd be great to have a photo of the 1960 Olympics, so if you could email a low res version to elizabeth.multon@bloomsbury.com that'd be brilliant.

All the best

Liz

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules