Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Seeking advice for J/109 new nav gear
Team McLube

Donner74

Dec 1, 2010, 6:00 AM

Post #1 of 6 (17248 views)
Shortcut
Seeking advice for J/109 new nav gear Log-In to Post/Reply

Hi everyone. I am new to the whole forum thing, but now that my boat's I dry land I have some big plans for her and could use some advice. So I thought I'd get started with some posts on something near and dear to my heart, TOYS! And not the kind my five-year-old is always bringing on board!

My J/109 is in need of some new nav gear. I am true electronics geek at work and home, but I'm feeling overwhelmed by the options when it comes to my boat. I've been dealing with a bit of a mishmash since I bought her, the previous owner didn't seem to apply any rhyme or reason when selecting electronics. Suffice it to say, out with the old and in with the new... I'm in the market for a new nav system, some instruments, and an AIS. I have also been debating a new radar. Honestly, I'd really like to do a total refresh at this point, save my Simrad pilot, which works fine.

I have been reading and researching a lot online lately and in some magazines, and the one thing I'm definitely thinking is that I'd like to try to stay with one brand if I can ... not only because I think it's a clean look, but also because it seems like there are a lot of cool things you can do these days over a network with compatible technology.

So, for starters ... what do you think about my one brand idea? Do you have any recommendations? And, is there anything I should definitely steer clear of?

THANKS!
-Greg
She's real fine ... my J/109!

The Publisher

Dec 7, 2010, 4:26 PM

Post #2 of 6 (17215 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Donner74] Seeking advice for J/109 new nav gear [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Good morning all,

I've been hard at work this weekend researching and pricing out the components for big electronics upgrade. One question that's still on my mind is whether or not I need a dedicated AIS display or if I will be ok using the overlay on my Navigation device. I mainly cruise in some pretty busy waters so AIS is a no brainer. I also like that a dedicated display with low power draw can be on and receiving when my nav system isn't. So for those of you who use AIS my questions are (in no particular order)

1) Dedicated or overlaid on charts?
2) Should I get the Simrad AI50 to go with the all Simrad system I am planning or is their a better standalone device to consider? Note: I realize that I can share AIS data either from the standalone to the new NSE or from the NSE to a standalone screen.
3) Receiver or Transponder?

As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Greg (aka Donner74)

She's real fine ... my J/109!

eurosailor

Dec 8, 2010, 7:02 AM

Post #3 of 6 (17098 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Seeking advice for J/109 new nav gear [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Greg,
I can help you spec the right upgraded equipment for your J109.
Have a couple of Q.'s:
What kind of sailing are you planning to do?
Crusing or Racing? (or both)
Describe me the equipment that you currently have on the boat.

Let's take it from there.

offshore

Dec 8, 2010, 9:53 AM

Post #4 of 6 (17051 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Donner74] Seeking advice for J/109 new nav gear [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Hi, If you are a cruiser, then you should consider the raytheon suite because of the new IR viewing along with radar on the CP. It will easily interface with your pilot. For the techno geek Furuno Navnet, personally I find the Garmin systems with the new type radar very informative and easy to use.
Do not overlook your iPad - often it has a better chart display than even the best Chartplotter.many other sailing apps also available.

PaulK

Jan 6, 2011, 6:29 PM

Post #5 of 6 (16765 views)
Shortcut

We've been fairly pleased with our Tacktick wireless system. We taped the displays with doubleback stickytape where they're easily visible to everyone in the cockpit. No holes to leak in the deck or cabin trunk, no wires to snake and add weight to the mast. The ability to switch each screen to enlarge different data as needed is very useful. Sometimes, for example, you want to focus on AWI, sometimes on boatspeed, sometimes, when the water gets really thin, depth. Some helmsmen simply like different displays than others: this system can accommodate them. The mobile unit is also great for the navigator to check whatever info he wants, since he can wear it on a lanyard and switch it around too. The whole system talks to the laptop so you can plug in your polars as well as the GPS and really see how you're doing. We did have some issues with faulty sending units, which Tacktick has replaced. Engine harmonics sometimes do wierd things to the depth readings, but we had that issue with our old system as well. It may have more to do with all the vibrations getting overlapped as we head home from the open sound into the narrow channel with the motor running. Others may also offer wireless, but we liked the Tacktick pricing better.

BobC

Jan 10, 2011, 6:10 AM

Post #6 of 6 (16706 views)
Shortcut

Greg,

Good questions, some of my customers pointed out your post and asked me to comment. No secret here I work for NKE and would be happy to help you with your system selection.

You're right AIS is a no brainer these days and whether of not you go the stand alone route or overlay it should be on board. NKE has a receiver that creates a page on your autopilot display with CPA alarms that are user setable and can also place targets on a plotter or PC based charting system.

What is the focus of your sailing? Are you more of a race or cruise guy? We don't belive in the one size fits all "solution" that you will find from some manufactureres so I ask this question.

Feel free to contact me through this site and we can go into any level of detail you want.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules