Forum Index: .: Dock Talk:
Bottom Paint - what is fastest?
Team McLube

Al Johnson

Nov 23, 2005, 2:11 PM

Post #1 of 9 (24213 views)
Shortcut
Bottom Paint - what is fastest? Log-In to Post/Reply

What is the hardest, fastest, and longest lasting bottom paint out there for cold (50-55 degree) saltwater? The last couple of bottoms on my 33-footer have been Baltoplate. Itís very hard, it sands out great, itís super smooth, and it starts to loose its anti-fouling ability in about 6 months. It requires a lot of scrubbing, and it lasts a maximum of 2 years. Before that I had VC Offshore, which had similar speed characteristics, but seemed to have better antifouling capability. However, the boatyard I use had some problems spraying it, and they switched all their race customers to Baltoplate. Before that, I had a tin ablative paint which was wonderful, but was banned by the EPA years ago.

Iíve heard that putting ground up tetracycline pills in the paint increases its life and antifouling ability. Does this really work? Does it create adhesion or smoothness problems in the paint? Has anyone put it in Baltoplate? How much should you use? I also heard that Star Brite has an additive called Compound X that claims to double the life of bottom paint. (I also heard that the active ingredient in Compound X was tetracycline hydrochloride, which sounds like the ground up pills.) Has anyone tried this / how did it work?

the_sphincter

Nov 27, 2005, 11:22 AM

Post #2 of 9 (24139 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Al Johnson] Bottom Paint - what is fastest? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I hear crickets. www.sailinganarchy.com/forums , then search for "bottom paint" and you'll get tons and tons of useful stuff/personal experiences, etc.

"What is the hardest, fastest, and longest lasting bottom paint out there for cold (50-55 degree) saltwater"
you can either get hardest/fastest or longest lasting. Hardest/fastest is probably VC. Longest lasting is ablative (in terms of antifouling protection). Pettit Vivid is supposed to be pretty good. Do a search for it.

I wouldn't do anything with tetracycline for environmental reasons It's an antibiotic. You probably don't want to go spewing it around everywhere. Expensive as well. It also wouldn't work well with baltoplate, which is a very hard paint. The stuff on the surface would go into use, but then other stuff beneath the surface would just be trapped in epoxy. It may also turn your hull under the paint yellow.

I've heard chili powder is what cruisers do in the tropics, but that's with ablative.

Bird Man

Nov 27, 2005, 7:20 PM

Post #3 of 9 (24126 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the_sphincter] Bottom Paint - what is fastest? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

i have been using e-paint for the past year and it seem to hold up really nice. the only problem is the annoying white cloud that comes off the boat when it is scrubbed, so make sure that you clean it in an area with a good current.

The Publisher

Nov 27, 2005, 8:18 PM

Post #4 of 9 (24124 views)
Shortcut
Re: [the_sphincter] Bottom Paint - what is fastest? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

In Reply To
I hear crickets. www.sailinganarchy.com/forums , then search for "bottom paint" and you'll get tons and tons of useful stuff/personal experiences, etc.

I tried the search and did not find the question answered, or at least not without having to muddle through too many unrelated posts. Maybe others will have more luck. I have contacted some industry folks to post their opinion upon their return from the holiday weekend.

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

the_sphincter

Nov 28, 2005, 1:23 AM

Post #5 of 9 (24116 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Bottom Paint - what is fastest? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Sorry Pub. Why bother with industry folks? They just try to pimp their own products. If you want fast, baltoplate and vc wetsanded and burnished are as close to gelcoat as you can get. Pettit vivid isn't as hard, but the colors are nice. Be prepared to spray and wetsand a bit (after you fair you hull), or brush/roll and wetsand a lot.

EDIT: Good idea not to contact industry folks with an interest in pimping their own products - which we didn't. - Scuttlebutt

jim marta

Nov 28, 2005, 10:18 AM

Post #6 of 9 (24092 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Al Johnson] Bottom Paint - what is fastest? [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

We sail the northwest USA and find Pettit's Ultima SR is a great paint. It's ablative, sprays well, sands well,and has over 50% copper. It lasts at least two years in our 50 to 55 degree waters. We seem to have excellent light wind speed which speaks well of the bottom. We feel the ablative process continues to be smooth over time.

But, perhaps the best speed paint is VC's teflon paint. You roll it on, wipe it smooth with newspaper, but it doesn't last through many scrubs (use a sponge only) and has only 13% copper. It can be applied by the owner twice a year and may be cost effective comparing spraying costs by the yard.

In Reply To

TJones

Nov 29, 2005, 2:46 PM

Post #7 of 9 (24026 views)
Shortcut

You had it right the first time with VC Offshore or Baltoplate (best bottoms aside from gel coat or epoxy I have seen). There is no way they should lose their anti-fouling properties in six months at that temperature, assuming the use of a proper diving service. With the EPA on the warpath things will only get worse. Look for water soluble paints only in the near future.
-------------------------------------------
Todd Jones
BetterSailing c/o Thomas Hardware
18680 Mack Ave
Grosse Pointe, MI 48236
www.bettersailing.com

Bob Hennessey

Nov 30, 2005, 10:02 AM

Post #8 of 9 (24004 views)
Shortcut

We at KKMI have four project managers helping customers pick the best antifouling to suit their needs. The water temperature is approx 55 degrees so we have the same conditions. In the old days we used Baltoplate and some of the other hard vinyls as they are the best racing finish. They produced fast bottoms but needed alot of scrubbing before each race to keep clean.The new breed of antifoulings spray on smooth and actually get smoother as they move through the water are becoming the racing paints of choice. The ablatives (Micron CSC types) erode as you use the boat but tend to grow foul faster if the boat is used infrequently. The newest antifouling paints hydrolize (Micron 66) and dissolve even if the boat sits at the dock. After all the discussions take place and all the pros and cons are weighed the high copper antifoulings like Trinidad SR and Ultracoat are still 80% of what comes out of our chandlery. If sprayed they can be very fast and I think they protect the best from growth. I would not recommend adding any additives as this could void warranties.

papa

Dec 18, 2005, 8:09 AM

Post #9 of 9 (23843 views)
Shortcut

I added a small can of carbon powder to the bottom paint of my last boat, doing so more than doubled the life of the paint and made for a real hard surface.

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules