jib vs genoa
Team McLube

greg james

Mar 6, 2006, 11:13 PM

Post #1 of 13 (37867 views)
Shortcut
jib vs genoa Log-In to Post/Reply

Hey

Does any body know what the differance between a jib and a genoa is?

I have always wondered but have never been a 100% shore.

Sorry if this seems a little amiture?

CheersSlyUnsure
go hard or go home

blowboater

Mar 7, 2006, 6:12 AM

Post #2 of 13 (37854 views)
Shortcut
Re: [greg james] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

foretriangle sail that overlaps the mast is a genoa, I believe. If the clew doesn't go back past the mast, it is a jib.

MEsposito

Mar 9, 2006, 7:19 AM

Post #3 of 13 (37797 views)
Shortcut
Re: [blowboater] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

A genoa is defined simply as "a large jib."
A jib is defined as "a triangular sail secured to a stay forward of the mast or foremast."
All genoas are jibs, but not all jibs are genoas. Modern usage has sorted out much as the previous post said, using "genoa" for an overlapping headsail.

greg james

Mar 10, 2006, 3:21 AM

Post #4 of 13 (37779 views)
Shortcut
Re: [MEsposito] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Thank you so much!

that has really helped me. i got to learn somthing new which is really going to helpme with my project.

Cheers!Cool
go hard or go home

Surfer

Mar 10, 2006, 9:57 PM

Post #5 of 13 (37761 views)
Shortcut

Yes. A genoa is simply an oversized jib.

I'd say from a 130 up.

That said I'm over lappers.

They are basically a pain in the butt in every respect.

-Surfer

greg james

Mar 13, 2006, 2:20 AM

Post #6 of 13 (37741 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Surfer] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

thanks for the reply surfer, but im not quit shore what you meant by a 130 up.
is this like an overlap from the mast?

aloso: when you refer to lappers, what do you mean by that and why are you over them?

Kind regards.
go hard or go home

DGreenleaf

Mar 16, 2006, 4:19 AM

Post #7 of 13 (37690 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
thanks for the reply surfer, but im not quit shore what you meant by a 130 up.
is this like an overlap from the mast?

aloso: when you refer to lappers, what do you mean by that and why are you over them?

Kind regards.

The distance from your mast to your forestay is 15 feet (for example). A 100% headsail would have roughly a 15 foot 'foot' length (the length of the bottom of the sail). So a 130 headsail would be 130% longer (in the foot) than your 100% headsail. You will frequently hear things like a 155, 140, 130 and 105 headsail as common for a race boat.

What has been found, is that most race boats that are racing each other in identical boats have gone to a small headsail (105% jib, for example), since it is easier to tack (it's smaller), and allows the boat to remain well under control in breezy conditions.

So, when someone says that 'they are OVER overlapping headsails', they are saying that they are done using the large sails which extend back and beyond the mast. They are big, and are tough to handle sometimes.

You will find that many high-performance race boat classes, only use a small headsail (a 105% jib) as a part of their rules.

DG

John Tormey

Mar 16, 2006, 6:14 AM

Post #8 of 13 (37682 views)
Shortcut
Re: [DGreenleaf] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

DG's explanation is close, but the measurement (aka, the LP) is not taken along the foot. The LP measurement is taken from the clew to the closest point on the luff. So, using DJ's example, for a jib to have a 100% LP, you use 100% of the 15' length (distance from forestay to mast, aka the J measurement) and measure from the clew to the closest point on the luff, and this measurement should equal 15'.

It is interesting to note that a jib with a deck sweeper clew, or a jib with a high clew, can still have the same LP. One-Design class rules might spec out the other sail dimensions (luff, leech, foot), but for handicap racing, it is ONLY about the LP measurement.

See diagram below to (hopefully) back up the above info:

DGreenleaf

Mar 16, 2006, 4:06 PM

Post #9 of 13 (37658 views)
Shortcut
Re: [John Tormey] jib vs genoa [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Yup... you are spot on.

I just tried to keep it simple with dimensions (rough, granted) that the fella could understand without getting into the specifics.

Some stuff, IMHO, is best explained like it's to a two-year-old.... Please, no offense to the individual asking the question.

Well done.

DG

JCWADE

Mar 17, 2006, 6:28 AM

Post #10 of 13 (37314 views)
Shortcut

A little additional information on this issue: The "Genoa" was first used (Made?) in Genoa Italy. Previous to its introduction, Jibs were 100% and in order to get more sail area out of them, the leach was provided with some roach, which in turn required battens. A Genoese sail maker realised he could provide lots of sail area with an overlap, by deleting the battens. To do that he simply cut out the roach; infact the first gennies had a "scoop" (Negative roach) cut in them. thereafter the term Genoa was used to descibe all overlapping headsils. Ultimately, this cut developed into the straight leach with a leach-line to control flutter. JCW

greg james

Mar 19, 2006, 9:55 PM

Post #11 of 13 (36967 views)
Shortcut

Wow there are some really great things that im learning from this.
I really apriciate it DGreenleaf, John Tormey and JCWADE. some great stuff there!

and by the way no offence taken DGreenleaf, any thing i can learn now is good for my future so im all smiles!

CheersWink
go hard or go home

brucewayne

Oct 16, 2012, 4:42 AM

Post #12 of 13 (34381 views)
Shortcut

Hi friends, both jib and Genoa are almost similar but the difference is when we see Boat from side the Genoa will overlap with the mainsail whereas jib will not. Have a good day!

jeremy tom

Apr 25, 2014, 5:00 AM

Post #13 of 13 (33103 views)
Shortcut

I came accross this website to read more info on this great product: http://www.nauticexpo.com/boat-manufacturer/genoa-sail-17695.html

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules