Top iPhone apps for sailing
Team McLube

The Publisher

Feb 17, 2010, 8:02 AM

Post #1 of 12 (63229 views)
Shortcut
Top iPhone apps for sailing Log-In to Post/Reply

TOP IPHONE APPS FOR SAILING
Yachting World editor Elaine Bunting recently posted a list of what iPhone apps were useful for sailing and whether they were worth paying for. Here's a rundown of what she had used and tested:

Navionics charts
Met Office Weather
Marine Tides Planner Plus
Aye Tides
Sailmaster
Wind Meter
Marine Rules & Signals
NOAA Buoy Data Reader

Her app reviews are listed here: http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/elaine-bunting/443004/top-iphone-apps-for-sailing

Since some of the apps on Elaine’s list were UK centric, Scuttlebutt founder Tom Leweck added the apps currently in use on his iPhone:

MotionX GPS
Tide Graph
RaceTools (timer)
Caribbean Racing game

Are there more apps missing from this list? Add them to this thread.

Fr Bandersnatch

Feb 17, 2010, 9:49 PM

Post #2 of 12 (63148 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Top iPhone apps for sailing [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

iNavx - raster scans of every US chart. They look better and are potentially more accurate than the vector charts in the Navioncs app.

On a iPhone 3GS it is an awesome portable resource to have in your pocket in the cockpit. I put mine in a waterproof ziplock bag.

While entering Woods Hole last summer, the boat's laptop chart plotter crashed. We had paper charts and my iPhone and didn't bother rebooting the laptop. iNavx is terriffic in the US.

timatetech

Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 PM

Post #3 of 12 (63136 views)
Shortcut
Re: [The Publisher] Top iPhone apps for sailing [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

Ship Finder - Plots commercial traffic on charts from AIS feeds. Free version and paid version (4.99). Works great.

hunden

Feb 18, 2010, 2:00 AM

Post #4 of 12 (63114 views)
Shortcut

Wind Forecast from Sailport.

Simple, accurate, fast forecasts for any venue. 4.99

Curmudgeon
*** / Moderator

Mar 10, 2010, 12:00 PM

Post #5 of 12 (62747 views)
Shortcut

The Racing Rules of Sailing 2009-2012, including US SAILING Prescriptions application is now available for the iPhone and iPod Touch. The app is designed for the avid racing sailor who needs instant access to the official rules and signals.-- Details: http://media.ussailing.org/...Racing_Rules_app.htm

Here is a review:

The Racing Rules of Sailing seems like a natural for an iPhone app, and IMHO - US SAILING got it right the first time. The app has everything that’s in the rule book - the appendices, the code flags, definitions - and in many cases (but not all), navigation is much easier on the app than in the book. $5.99 seems a bit pricy for an iPhone app, but that’s still just a fraction of the price of the rule book. For me, this app will supplement, not replace the rule book, but I’m sure many others will find it meets all of their needs. And one very nice thing about having this information on your phone, you always have it with you. - Tom Leweck

bogator

Mar 26, 2010, 4:16 AM

Post #6 of 12 (61585 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Curmudgeon] Top iPhone apps for sailing [In reply to] Log-In to Post/Reply

I agree. This app is great and very easy to use. Now if they could just get the Cases and Appeals into an app, you could have a complete protest kit in your pocket.

The Publisher

Apr 21, 2010, 8:53 AM

Post #7 of 12 (58486 views)
Shortcut

I haven't tried this app, but this email came from top flight photographer Jürg Kaufmann:

Hi Craig

How are you? Here something new! An iphone application picture gallery with lot's of sailing pictures.

I think I'm the first yachting photographer coming on the market with an iphone application.

Here is the link: http://itunes.apple.com/ch/app/jurg-kaufmann/id367414141?mt=8

Let me know.

Jürg

________ _/) _/) ~ ___ _/) _/) ~ _______
go4image.com
Jürg Kaufmann
Poststrasse 33
8700 Küsnacht
Switzerland
M SUI: +41 79 420 01 53
juerg@go4image.com
www.go4image.com

The Publisher

Jul 6, 2010, 7:32 AM

Post #8 of 12 (52983 views)
Shortcut

Scuttlebutt is asked to review a lot of products, and when the request is for a product that we may have some interest in, occasionally we will actually do it. Here is a review by Scuttlebutt founder Tom Leweck for a new iPhone application:

YOU-TACK! Pro: The Guide to the Racing Rules of Sailing

Clinical tests have shown that one of the best treatments for insomnia is simply reading the Racing Rules of Sailing - they are so boring that most people go right to sleep. Worse yet, they are confusing and it’s not easy to figure out how the words on the page relate to situations on the water. However, if you want to race sailboats, you simply must understand the rules, and more importantly - how they apply on the racecourse.

You-Tack Pro, The Racing Sailor's Illustrated Guide is a new iPhone/iPod app that truly helps to make the rules understandable, and to make the learning process fun. It has 42 illustrated situations that will open your eyes about things that happen regularly on the race course. When I say illustrated, I mean with both diagrams and video. Plus, there’s a quiz about each of those situations that quickly (and sometimes painfully) lets you know if you really understand what’s going on. And when you get the quiz answers, there is always a convenient link to the applicable rules. Nice.

The app also includes the complete rule book including all of the appendices, definitions and signals. At $19.95 it is not cheap, but it is a very easy and fun way to improve your rules knowledge…and to quickly get into your comfort zone as you prepare to go into “the room.” - http://appshopper.com/sports/you-tack-pro

wondsteve

Jul 9, 2010, 5:33 AM

Post #9 of 12 (52819 views)
Shortcut

Any great sailing apps for Droids, aside from the usual GPSs? BTW, there currently are 61 Droid devices, offered by 21 manufacturers, carried by 59 carriers in 49 countries worldwide, with far more widespread coverage/use overseas than iPhone, and have been outselling iPhones, worldwide for some time, now...
WondSteve

The Publisher

May 10, 2011, 11:38 AM

Post #10 of 12 (48319 views)
Shortcut

BUT CAN IT MIX DRINKS?
While there is yet to be an app that can mix a good margarita,
theAppWhisperer.com has created a top 10 guide for iPhone and iPad sailing
apps. The one app that got our attention was the Sailboat Race Starter. The
SRS is an ISAF Countdown Timer for racing sailboats that includes:

- A sync feature which allows you to sync your time with the race committee
if you miss the warning signal.

- Audible alerts and vibration as timer approaches race start.

- A feature to mark both ends of the start line using GPS technology, with
the app providing information on how far away from the line you are, and
how long it will take to get there.

We are not sure how well it works for start line support, but when the
closest alternative may be the Velocitek ProStart ($599), the nominal app
fee could be worth trying. Has anybody test-driven the SRS?

Here is the full list of apps on the top 10 guide:
http://theappwhisperer.com/2011/05/03/top-10-iphone-and-ipad-sailing-apps/

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

The Publisher

May 10, 2011, 11:38 AM

Post #11 of 12 (48318 views)
Shortcut

From Joanne Carter, Editorial Director, TheAppWhisperer.com:

Many thanks for posting about the iPhone/iPad sailing app list. I've had a look at some of the comments and there look to be quite a few Android users there, upset that they weren't included. So... I have compiled a top 10 Android sailing app list, just for them - would you be so kind as to mention this too, please? Here's the link: http://theappwhisperer.com/2011/05/04/top-10-android-sailing-apps/

- Craig Leweck, Scuttlebutt

The Publisher

May 10, 2011, 11:40 AM

Post #12 of 12 (48317 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
BUT CAN IT MIX DRINKS?
While there is yet to be an app that can mix a good margarita,
theAppWhisperer.com has created a top 10 guide for iPhone and iPad sailing
apps. The one app that got our attention was the Sailboat Race Starter. The
SRS is an ISAF Countdown Timer for racing sailboats that includes:

- A sync feature which allows you to sync your time with the race committee
if you miss the warning signal.

- Audible alerts and vibration as timer approaches race start.

- A feature to mark both ends of the start line using GPS technology, with
the app providing information on how far away from the line you are, and
how long it will take to get there.

We are not sure how well it works for start line support, but when the
closest alternative may be the Velocitek ProStart ($599), the nominal app
fee could be worth trying. Has anybody test-driven the SRS?

Here is the full list of apps on the top 10 guide:
http://theappwhisperer.com/2011/05/03/top-10-iphone-and-ipad-sailing-apps/

A review of the Sailboat Race Starter

This app was created by James Eskew, and tested by John Cole on an iPhone 3GS with 16G:

This simple program is to assist you to be in the front row at the start by calculating the time and distance to the start line using GPS.

We tested the app in a Cal 20 race on the Columbia River Gorge in Portland, OR. The first step involved two simple buttons to set the pin and committee boat lat & lon, and then we set the timer on the 5 minute sequence. Go to the home page where Distance to line, Time to line, and Time to start are displayed.

Pro’s
Simple & easy to use
Helpful tool if I can fine tune it.
Works good close in – possibly no one on the bow in the future.
If I can get it to work – less bitching from the blunt end.

Con’s
If your device goes to sleep you lose satellite position.
Time to line accuracy is in question if outside the starting line or further than 150 feet from line
3GS updates the GPS signal about every 1.5 secs and it takes a little while for the program to reset to the new coordinates.
Needs a 10 min start sequence

Viewing the Forums: No members and guests

Search for (options) Contact Forum Forum FAQS Markup Tags Forum Rules